Summary and Resources
This article looked at the different types of selectors available within the CSS2 Recommendation. Browser support for some is limited, but CSS is designed for graceful degradation; a page should still be legible and usable if a style isn't applied. However, you should always test pages in all target browsers.
- Review the Cascading Style Sheets 2 Recommendation from the W3C.
- Get up to speed on CSS by reading the Introduction to Cascading Style Sheets: Type tutorial (developerWorks, September 2001).
- Read Molly E. Holzschlag's article on using class selectors to your advantage, Design Web pages with class (developerWorks, September 1999).
- Learn more about CSS at the House of Style.
- Get a guide to support for various CSS1 and CSS2 selectors and properties in various browsers.
- Find more XML resources on the developerWorks XML zone.