With limited space available, it has not been possible to cover everything. There are two directions to take in further research: One should yield breadth and the other depth. By breadth, I mean the features that were beyond the scope of this article, such as abstract classes, interfaces, the iterator interface, reflection, exceptions, and object cloning. By depth, I mean questions of design. While it is important to understand the range of tools available in PHP for object-oriented programming, it is equally crucial to consider how best to work with such features. Fortunately, there are many resources available that focus on patterns of design in an object-oriented context (see Resources).
If you are still programming with PHP V4, I hope you found enough new features to justify migrating to V5 and its core object-oriented features. You'll soon wonder how you managed without them.
- The essential overview of all PHP's object-oriented features classes and objects (PHP V5) can be found in Chapter 19 of the official PHP Manual.
- For an article that expands on issues of type with reference to abstract classes, see
Working with Class Types: Abstract Classes and Interfaces.
- For an overview of error handling with PHP V5, see Exceptional Code.
- For a fantastic resource for anyone interested in object-oriented design, visit C2 Wiki.
- The home page of the PHP language and the place to download PHP is PHP.net.
- PHP Builder is popular PHP site with tutorials and code libraries.
- Zend.com contains plenty of useful links and information about PHP. Zend is the PHP Optimizer.
complete listings of the articles, tutorials, project info, and news
you need to stay up to date on developing with PHP at developerWorks PHP top projects.
- Visit the developerWorks Open source zone
for extensive how-to information, tools, and project updates to help
you develop with open source technologies and use them with IBM's
- Innovate your next open source development project with IBM trial software, available for download or on DVD.
- Find hundreds of discounted books on open source topics in the Open source section of The Developer Bookstore, including many books on PHP.
- Get involved in the developerWorks community by participating in developerWorks blogs.